Monday, September 20, 2010

An interview of a Samsung i9000 galaxy S user, know more about the phone from a user's perspective

Leave a Comment
Disclaimer: Facts that you may find in this post is not totally true for everyone. This post is about an interview on a single person so the experience being described might be different from other's.

As of this writing , I know two people (close to me) who owns a galaxy S handset from Samsung. I decided to ask one of them a few questions about their experience on their respective cellphones to have a better grasp on the what the galaxy s can provide.
It's a nice phone but you can experience death-grip when staying indoors. In terms of apps, android got lots of free apps to.. the only problem is that apps gets to app store(from apple) first before being ported to android market, and apple has more apps too.
before I started the interview, my friend mentioned about, him wanting to buy an iPhone 4.
I want to buy an iPhone 4, i should have waited 2 more weeks..
 I became interested on why he suddenly wants to replace his Galaxy S with iPhone 4 thats why I ask him and guess what..
astig ung design lol (in english, "the design looks cool lol)
Well I totally agree about that, but its just the design and appreciate of that aspect varies from user to user.

The interview
Q:  How much did you score on your galaxy s?


A:  Got it P26,000 from globe on Plan 299


Q: And you deffered the payment into 9 months?
A: Yeah.


Q: So far, how was your experience with your mobile phone?
A: It's a nice phone but you can experience death-grip when staying indoors. In terms of apps, android got lots of free apps to.. the only problem is that apps gets to app store(from apple) first before being ported to android market, and apple has more apps too. 


Q: Weren't you about to return your original unit and get another stock to fix the death grip problem?
A: According to what I read, the problem is same to all unit.


Q: So its true that Galaxy S also has a death-grip similar to iPhone 4. What feature or functionality you like most about Galaxy S?
A: Yea. I like the OS, the transition and animation are smooth. And the screen too, best when watching HD. 

Q: What about the feature you didn't like or something you think this phone really lacks?
A: So far, I don't like it having no flash for camera. That's all I can think of , for now.


Q: Do you have plans on rooting your device?
A: I don't have plans yet. I also didn't unlock the device. I only upgrade the firmware version.


Q: So you are already on Froyo (android 2.2)?
A: Not yet, I don't want to flash un-official firmware. I only updated eclair via samsung kies.

Q: Ahh, so there's no Froyo firmware yet for Galaxy S. My cousing was asking me if there's one out now. 
A: What I know is that there is a leaked firmware.  But I've heard that there will be a release of the official froyo update at the end of september. I don't want to flash my firmware unless the update is from samsung kies.


Q: Well, I agree, its difficult to mess around the firmware, you might brick your phone. Its not even covered in the warranty. Is it true that you can unlock the phone, from the phone itself? no need to install third party applications?
A: I read that there's many software that you need to download. I don't need to do that, I'm a globe subscriber anyway.

Q: So far, what kind of applications you already downloaded and used.
A: Games, file manager, barcode scanner, yahoo messenger, facebook app, and live wallpapers. 


Q: Do you find bringing it around a difficult experience?
A: Not really, the phone is bigger than normal phone but its surprisingly thin. So I guess, its not.


Q: Does it fit your pocket easily? Not prone to too much bending?
A: Yeah. I don't think it is.


Q: What about battery life?
A: Normal usage, it last for about 2 days. If I play games, only 1 day.


Q: Is it enough ?
A: For me its just enough. But if you're a heave user, text-er , your wouldn't enjoy the battery that much.


Q: Have you tried using battery saver application or some sort? application which lengthens battery life by changing screen brightness blah blah blah? 
A: I'm not using any apps like that. You can configure the brightness on settings. What I did is i set the brightness to lowest, turned off 3g. I think its normal for smartphones to last 1-3 days depending on the usage.


Q: So far, are you happy with your phone? How long have you been using it? Are you still going to buy an iPhone 4(joking) ?
A:  I'm happy. Been using it for two weeks. I'm planning on comparing it to iPhone 4 once Froyo is out. If there's little improvement from Eclair to Froyo, I might buy an iPhone 4 even though galaxy s has advantage in terms of specification. I really like the design of iPhone 4. LOL.

Thanks for your precious time dude.


The person I interviewed is a former colleague, and a close friend who now works on a different company and earns almost double my previous salary  LOL. Anyway, this guy is great programmer, hardworking and still manages to give time for social things.
update: I forgot to mention that he is a gamer and a loverboy :)

Original article

0 comments: